Thursday, October 23, 2014

STRUGGLING ON MY EDUCTION ROAD

Hui li 
                                  Struggling On My Education Road
    
     I grew up in China before coming to the United States. I have been in the United States for a few years, but I still find it difficult to adapt to the US life in many different ways. There are too many differences between these two countries; for example, they have different life styles, eating habits, traditions, population, and also education systems. I have experienced these two different education systems in each of these two countries, and I’m currently under the American education system. There are a lot of differences between these two systems. At times, I feel confused that I don’t need to do much homework, but it is hard to get a good grade for each course. I made many close friends when I went to school in China, but I find it hard to make close friends like those in China. Therefore, I miss those days studying in China, I don’t need to worry about which courses to take, I can get a good score by working hard on my home work, and I made many close friend from school there.
     One of the major differences is the class assignment. In China, students are randomly assigned to different classes. A class with the same students will last until they graduate from each school phase, which include elementary school, junior high school and high school. In the US, students can choose different courses instructed by different teachers, so students who choose the same course instructed by the same teacher will stay in the same class for one semester. In this way, after each semester, class will change due to different choices from different students. I miss the way that students can stay in the same class for a long time. I can get familiar with both teachers and classmates. I don’t need to spend more time to adapt to a new environment, and don’t need to worry about which courses to choose.
     The second difference is assigning homework. When I was in China, our teacher always gave us a lot of mandatory homework everyday, and homework were usually due the next day. We had to work really hard to finish homework. But in the US, teachers usually give us some reading assignments, and not much homework, which is usually due in a few days. The U.S. style of assigning homework always makes me confused, I don’t have much homework to do, and I usually have a lot of time to finish that little homework. I don’t know what to do after homework, and I could not make full use of my spare time. I still miss the way when I was in China. I can easily study hard to get good grade, and I can always make full use of my time to study.
     The third difference is friendship. In China, students would maintain the same class for the whole phase, so I had a long time to get to know my friends in the same class. We also formed really close friendship. In the US, our class changes all the time, and it is hard to form a firm friendship. Most of the time, students meet each other everyday, but they are not friends. All my closest friends are made from that time when we were at the same class in China. I miss those close friends in China, and I like the way we make friends with a long relationship.                     
     Even thought there are many differences in education systems between China and US, which many new immigrants like me find it hard to get used to, I am still making my best efforts to study. I like to study by myself, and doing homework more. I also would like to make friends from my class, to help each other. It doesn’t matter which education system we are in. I believe as long as I work had, I can still get the best benefits from school.


7 comments:


  1. I liked the way you are explaining the differences between U.S. and China! I am facing the same thing here in U.S., especially with friends! I am missing my friends in Cyprus and I find it difficult too to make friends here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The most diference,I think the same to you, is that students do homework at class in China while they do it at home in the United States.

    ReplyDelete
  4. agreed. at some point this is what has happen to everyone moving. it just a mattter of time ntill you will adapt here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I agree with you. There are a lot of difference between the U.S. and Chinese system.I feel you. I also miss how comfortable when a new semester began because I knew everyone from the previously one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, your essay is the reaction of Chinese students' situation. Like me, in the beginning, I was also not feel good under the American education style. Because in China students don't need to take about what I should do. Teachers always assign homeworks to me. However, I think Chinese students have to understand the difference and then we can do the best. Trust me, you can familiar it very soon,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sister, I agreed with you about making closer friend. Also, don't give up on your education road. I am expecting to see you at future course. Are we the closer friend now? ( LOL )

    ReplyDelete