Friday, October 17, 2014

Confused in Future



 When people immigrate to another country, many of them deal with new stress and some anxiety, which is called "culture shock". It can be experienced in the area of religion, language, food and education. Education is the most significant part in most people’s lives. It is relatively easy to achieve the goal through education to be successful. However, for a Chinese student like me who has language and communication difficulties, education is the most challenging part to get used to. I became accustomed to the traditional Chinese education system for twenty years, which is unique because I just followed what the teachers wanted me to do. It has been hard to change my custom of education because education in the U.S differs in choosing courses and teachers, homework and grades.
Choosing courses and teachers has been hard for me to adapt to. When a student succeeds in registering, it doesn't mean that she could already have classes in school. The next step is choosing your courses and teachers. It is very important because it decides what I will learn during the whole semester, and the teachers will determine how much I will learn. For me, as a new immigrant, I had trouble in choosing courses and teachers. The first time I registered in Harold Washington College, I didn't know how to choose courses or teachers. There were many different courses and teachers I could select. I had three courses in my first semester. Writing and grammar was the regular course, but I had to choose two other courses, and unfortunately, I didn't even know how to pronounce them. Also the school just provided the names of courses and the names of teachers, so it confused me. I had no idea what courses and teachers could help me to improve my English. These drastic changes made me cherish my school life in China. In China, there was no pressure to go to a new college because the school provided students with a good education. As a leader of the students, the teacher had set each course for the students. The students just learned the courses that the teacher had picked for them. The students didn't need to worry about how to take the courses because a professional teacher already had selected the best standard of the course for the students.
In reality, the homework in Chicago perplexes me entirely. My first semester in Harold Washington College made me crazy because there was a lot of homework. Not only the homework took me a lot of time to finish but also there were many different kinds of homework to do. They included weekly video recording, interviews, field trip homework and group project. Some of the homework that I need to do was to go out to find the information. I still remember one of the homework assignments in my reading class. My teacher required the student in group to go to the cemetery to take some information and do the presentation in the class. But I had to go to work, so I didn't have time to get the information. Naturally I didn't finish the homework, and I didn't get a grade for the assignment. The homework was so complex and difficult that I couldn't handle some of it. Sometimes, the homework made me want to cry, so I thought if I were in China, I wouldn't need to do the terrible homework. When I studied in China, I also had a lot of homework. However, the homework I did in China didn't make me waste my time to go out for a field trip in order to finish the homework. The homework I did in China was not complicated, so I could finish it in the book. Therefore, if I didn't even grasp the basic point, how could I enrich the new knowledge.
In addition, grades are the most worrisome part of my school life in Chicago. There was too much homework I couldn't handle, so I didn't know how to do in the homework and the homework kept my grades low. Each homework assignment is equivalent to an exam. The grades that I got on the homework directly affect my final total grades. If my final grades are lower than 70%, it means I won’t pass the course, and I have to take the course again. If I don’t pass, my level will not go up to another high level, and I have to waste my time to retake the course until I pass it. It is quite a long way for me to get a diploma in the U.S. It reminds me of how happy my school life was in China. I didn't worry about my grades. In China, I was allowed to make mistakes on the homework and if I didn't do the homework, the teacher would figure out the questions in the class. All I needed to do was listen to the teacher and do well in the final exam. The grades in the homework didn't affect the final exam. As a result, I only needed to finish my homework, pass in the final exam and get a basic major’s certificate, which meant that I could graduate from college. It was easier to get a diploma in China than in the U.S, so I could go out to find a job early and economize my resources.


As I continue studying in U.S, the culture shock of education has made me yearn for my country. Although I am proud of being Chinese, someday I will adjust to the American culture, get a high diploma and speak English fluently. I may even sound like a native speaker one day. I hope I study hard and become successful in the future, and my best wish is that I will go back to China and make my contribution to the development of my country.

8 comments:

  1. Homework system in the United States is a real headache for me too. I am thinking in the same way as you do because I did not understand the reason of thousand of homework since I came to the US. I think your essay involved the students' common feelings about homework. Not only us had struggle with homework as an international student but also, the native English speakers have complained that. At the beginning of the essay you talked about courses and teachers and difficulties choosing them. I may disagree in this case because in my country, we, also, have to study what curriculum gives us and you cannot skip any subject which you do not need to study, but in the US, student can do that and might focus on their own necessary subjects :) this is my opinion ( I have respect yours)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am thinking the same way as you too because i did not know which teacher and class should i choose. to finish homework to get better grade, but in china teacher does not really grades the homework. as long as you get a higher grade in the final. in your essay involved the immigrant students have same feeling about the homework.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The homework and grade are aslo two big issues for me. However things will get better little by little in the future, What is more important is that we truly learn knowledge and master a skill during the process,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, the education here is much easy than China. After you adapt it, you will fine it is easy and good

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your essay it"s completely right, i believe that for us is double challenge because of the language. In addition, education is what better for us and especially for our future maybe at this moment is hard but one day we will see the results.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I really like your essay especial the second paragraph. it was mention about the selecting class in the US. It made me to think that in China, we did not need to select courses and teacher because they already arrange for us. But in the United States, it is different and I think is also a good way for student more understand what we are going to learn and which teacher's teaching style fits for us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that homework is a big problem for me too. It really needs a lot of time to do it. I love your conclusion. Good luck. You can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew how your feeling was cause I had this same problem. Immigrating to the new country usually make people confused. You do not speak the new language. You do not understand the new people, so you begin afraid everything.

    ReplyDelete