Sunday, October 12, 2014

Gastronme-Jack

Gastronome
How to become a good gastronome? In my opinion, I think a gastronome should understand everything about food such as its ingredients, cuisine and culture. Each country and society has not only its own characteristic food, but also its particular food culture. China has a history longer than five thousand years, and it is one of the biggest countries in the world. Chinese food also has different cuisines such as Shandong Cuisine, Sichuan Cuisine, Guangdong Cuisine and Jiangsu Cuisine. Northern, southern, eastern Chinese cuisine all have has its own character and taste. In the same way, Chinese and American dining also have its character. They have difference in food ingredients and eating manner. However, Chinese food and culture have influenced me greatly, and their particular cuisine and taste are unable to forget.

       What kind of ingredient do you like? Chicken, beef, pork or shrimp? Those are too simple. There are a variety of food ingredients in Chinese food. Chinese food ingredients show great randomness. Many Americans may think some ingredients are not acceptable, but they are excellent raw material for Chinese cuisine in China. One of my hobbies is exploring food. When I go to American restaurants, I discovered that most of the ingredients are chicken breast, fillet and steak. In China, many dishes are cooked from some particular raw material such as pork intestine in dry hotpot and stir-fried kidney. When I was still in China, my friends and I always chose to eat American, Italian or French food but never Chinese food. However, after I came to the United States, I finally realized that Chinese food is my favorite. Its unique cooking style and ingredient make it hard for me to forget.

    In addition, eating manner is quite different between China and the United States. In China, in any feast, whatever the purpose is, there will be only one form, which is sitting around the round table. The dining room is bright. During any meal, people can see all dishes and have a pleasant conversation with each other. On the other hand, American eating manner is quite different from Chinese. Americans serve food individually. What’s more, some restaurants are very dark, so it may feel romantic to their customers. I clearly remember when I went to a famous American steak house. The dining room was very quiet and dark. I couldn’t even see the menu, so I had to turn on the light in my smartphone to help me see the menu. I am very curious why American like dining in a dark room, sometime they cannot even see the dish! I think having a dinner in a bright room is good to enjoy all the tasty food, but is quite difficult to find a place to have dinner like that in Chicago.
       What’s more, Cantonese soup is the most delicious soup in the world. There are more than a hundred varieties of Cantonese soup. Even though there are many styles soup around the globe, Cantonese soup is very unusual. Cantonese soup focuses on nutrition and medicinal value rather than taste. Many Cantonese people think a bowl of soup is better than medicine. In winter, my mother will cook Cantonese soup that has function of helping my body keep warm. Unfortunately, I cannot taste Cantonese soup in Chicago. Even when I go to some Chinese restaurants in Chinatown, they do not have Cantonese soup because it takes a long time to prepare and cook. There is no restaurant in Chicago willing to spend such a long time to make this soup. If I want to taste this soup, the only way is to go to my aunt’s home that takes almost one hour by car, but the soup attracts me all the time. 

      Food culture is very subjective, so I cannot say which one is better. However, I have lived in China for over twenty years, and Chinese food culture is already integrated to my body. Moreover, although it is very difficult to taste authentic Chinese food and Cantonese soup in Chicago, I am trying to become a good chef to make these by myself. I believe one day I can become a real gastronome and I can show my Chinese and American friends an authentic dining experience. 

4 comments:

  1. Jack. as I know, you are interested in food as always. OK , I got to admit that, I miss Chinese food to a extent as you. The soup, the atmosphere and the taste made me miss my hometown. Chinese food is the best all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jack, great and interesting essay. I have the same question with you, why Americans like dinning in a restaurant with low lighting. Is tiring sometimes for the eyes because you can't see clearly at the menu as you said and you can't enjoy your food. Also, I didn't knew that China has so many different cuisines. I thought that the whole China cooks the same way. I found it very interesting, because there were some facts about Chinese food I didn't knew like the soup!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, what are those in second picture? What kind of animal? and What does the soup include?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the second picture is the head of duck. About the soup, there are many styles. They are all different, but I can give you an example. They always put corn, carrot, pork, and clam to cook the soup.

      Delete