Saturday, October 4, 2014

Lost and Found

Cheng Jian Li
09/23/2014
Third Draft
Lost and Found

When I was a child, I liked the Spring Festival. I used to watch the fireworks beside the river after the dinner with my family. There were many people do the same thing with us. That day was the only day we could watch the fireworks, so it was very bustling. I have experienced eighteen Spring Festivals in my life. Two years ago, I moved to Chicago and started my new life here. Thus, I have experienced two Spring Festivals here. However, I miss the days when this festival arrives. Now I must adapt to American culture and give up the things in which I participated in China when it was the Spring Festival, such as atmosphere, customs, and family.


The most important part of the festival is the atmosphere, because it is really strong. Every one dresses in red because the red color means happiness and passion. What’s more, the square and the shopping mall always have sale. I can see many people shopping with their family. Everyone looks happy. What’s more, during this time of year, the restaurants are full of people, who are gathering with their family. It always make me feel happy, when I can see the smile on people’s face. Although there are a lot of Chinese in Chicago. Most of them have ignored the importance of the Spring Festival. I can’t see people in red or the people shop with their family. Sometimes, the restaurants in Chinatown are full of people. However, I can’t feel the happiness. Most Americans don’t know what is happening, because the Christmas has gone, and the New Year has gone as well. They just go to work and then go back home as usual because it’s not their holiday.

Besides the atmosphere, I need to give up the customs of the Spring Festival in Chicago. As I said, most of my family is in China. Also, there were no holiday during the Spring Festival last year. I needed to get up at 7:00 in the morning, wearing a big coat, and stepping in the heavy snow to go to school. However, if I were in China. I would pay a New Year’s call with my family and visit our relatives. That mean we have a party and gather together. We have dinner, watch TV shows together, and the elders will give us pocket money. I would also see my sister, brother, cousin, auntie and uncle on that day. It is happy to spend time with my family. What’s more, most of my friends are in China. I can’t hang out or have a party with them. That makes me so upset. In Chicago, most of my friend are foreigners, so they don’t know the Spring Festival. When I hang out with them, it is just like hanging out on a normal day. They don’t know the meaning of the Spring Festival, so I feel lost when the festival arrives in Chicago.

Last Spring Festival I was in Chicago with my mother. I had dinner with my mother when it was the New Year’s Eve. However, it made us feel lonely. After dinner, we had a video chat with our family in China. Then we listened them tell us what they did and how they felt in the New Year’s Eve. Although we chatted by the FaceTime, we felt lonely and upset. What’s more, it was not the holiday, I needed to go to school on the next day. Therefore, I finished my homework and then went sleep. I could not fall asleep that night. My mind was occupied with the scene when I was gathering with my family in China. Finally, I fell asleep. What I dreamed was the scene when I was having dinner with them in China.

What is lost in translation for me is that I wish I could stay with my family and my friends, feeling the atmosphere in my hometown when the Spring Festival arrives. I want to spend time with my family and my friends, having party and hanging out. However, I can’t change that I moved to a new city. I can’t go back to China during the Spring Festival because of my classes. Someday, I hope I can mix the Chinese culture with the American culture, and find a new way to have a meaningful Spring Festival in Chicago.

5 comments:

  1. Pictures are gorgeous. I think i saw the third one in Mulan. By the way, where did you live in China ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guangdong Province. Hongkong is my second hometown although I seldon live there.

      Delete
  2. This story have similar with my childhood. Me and my family always celebrate the Spring festival (When it's full moon) every year. I have cousin coming over every year they would eat and party talk about life. But after i came to the United States, i've never have that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, after we came here, became lonely. But we will meet new friends. The future will be better.

      Delete
  3. nice. i miss my country festivals too. this is reallly cool


    ReplyDelete