Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Convenient Demand

Suki
10/07/2014
                                                          Convenient Demand
      
            
         I was born and raised in big city, so I am so used to living in an area that I can easily find everything I need. As a city girl, I am the lucky one who lived in many people’s dream place –New York City (in the past five years). After the best of the best (NYC), I moved to another amazing land, Chicago, six months ago. I sure know that many people dream to live in the United States, what some consider-the best country in the world. In the U.S., there are many opportunities for everyone, and overall the quality of life is better than in many other countries. However, I still terribly miss the convenient lifestyle I had when I was in Hong Kong. There are some things that I must have in order to make my life easier in the States. A 24 hour convenience store, a private hangout place, and a shopping center that is in walking distance are on top of my demanding list.
             



             In Hong Kong, finding a 24 hour convenience store is as easy as finding a Starbucks in New York City. You can almost see one on each street and corner. In Hong Kong, the representation store that I love is 7-11. Even though I have one that is very near where I live now, it is not the same quality as in Hong Kong. Stores like 7-11 mean a lot to me. They are usually small, but have everything I need for my daily life. I love the food in 7-11, all kinds of health, fresh and yummy foods, such as, glutinous rice dumpling, steamed stuffed bun, fish ball, noodle, brisket rice, and soups. Typing these names has already made me hungry. They also offer warm drinks, so it always touched my heart when the weather was cold. Here in the states, 7-11 means junk food and hot dogs. All I can find is soft drinks, potato chips, or almost expired cookies. Whenever I need to leave home early for work, I really miss how easily I could just go to a 7-11 and buy something good for breakfast, instead of Dunkin’ Donuts. Not just during the day, late in the evening it is always lovely to have something good and warm to eat close by. Furthermore, when my feet get hurt from walking in high heels, I do not have to hide my pain and walk more than twenty minutes looking for a pharmacy. Because in Hong Kong, the7-11 is on the corner. Anytime I had a daily need, I would see one nearby. In addition to my daily needed, I also have a special weekend demand for my dear friends and I.



                 The best way hang out with friends on weekends is to sing karaoke. Most
Chinese people love karaoke, so I just could not understand why Americans do not go to karaoke like we do. Many Americans love to listen to music with their headphones wherever they go. They seem to truly love music, so they must love to sing! Unfortunately, it is very hard to find a good one in the States. When I say good one, it is not just a place that I can sing some songs. It is like a bar, with a private room including the bathroom for my friends and I, in every neighborhood. I drink, play games, chat all night long with my friends, and I sing whatever I like. In the States, I have to go very far away to find one, an old and awful one. After a few bad experiences, I soon gave up going to karaoke. Every time when I am in a bar trying so hard to hear what my friends have said, I wish I am in one of the karaoke clubs in Hong Kong. In that case my friends and I would sit or lie on a cozy sofa without caring so much about how other strangers looked at us. Of course, we could hear each other’s voices very clearly. In other words, it is very difficult to release my stress from work in the States by hanging out in very noisy bar and sitting on an uncomfortable couch. 


             Another way for me to relax is by going shopping, and I love doing it. No such luck, there is no shopping center that makes me feel relaxed. In the States, there are many nice malls and brand name stores where I can go shopping, but I cannot get everything I wanted on my list in one place. In Hong Kong, there are shopping centers in each county. It looks like a mall, but each store is owned by an individual person. They are special, unique, and have very good prices. From the home deck to nail scissors; hairpins to socks; baby stuff to elder generation collection, I can find everything with tremendous choices. Certainly, each center has food section, so there is no need to go out find a place for food with a long line. I can spend the whole day in one center. Ever since I moved to the States, I only go shopping in specific stores if I really need something. Because I am so tired of transferring in between stores, streets, or areas when I shop, shopping is no longer a fun fruity relaxation.




               My life in Chicago is great. I have a lovely daughter, a nice husband, and I am working on my new degree at Harold Washington College. I mean I have everything I need, but sometimes I feel it is still a little inconvenient. Chicago is not like Asian cities that I used to live in. It has a different lifestyle. Perhaps my old experience made me feel this way, but I just could not stop wishing that I am in Hong Kong when I am in an inconvenient situation. Some of my American friends said that I am too demanding of the needs in my neighborhood. I understand that Chicago is the best city in the Midwestern area, and I do applicate that. However, if I am surrounding by everything I need, why can’t I be happier?            


16 comments:

  1. I really feel how much you like Hong Kong from your essay! It also makes me miss my country,Japan as seven eleven and karaoke are everywhere in Japan.I like the way you describe how you like Hong Kong, Furthermore, I think your good and detailed examples makes the readers easy to understand your essay!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Yumi chan^^ I think Asian cities have a lot of things in common but different style.

      Delete
  2. One thing that i do not like Chicago is that there are not enough 24 hours stores.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the 24 hour convenience store can make us life more easy in my country but not in the U.S. I can pay bill, send package and buy grocery in the convenience store in my country, so I usually go to the convenience store twice a day. In the U.S, the the convenience store just a grocery that I don't think that is convenient for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, it is just different! I sometimes thinking people here are not very smart in this way, haha
      Thanks for your comment Cindy :)

      Delete
  4. wow you already have a daughter. which city you like more. chicago or new york. I think chicago is a wonderful place to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my daughter is 2 already. I love NY moreeeeee than Chicago for sure. But, like what you say, Chicago is better for growing family.

      Delete
  5. really? i like california better, small towns less buildings, more landscapes. but nice, New York is not bad,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Cali too, but only after I retired. It is too relax there, I still want to keep myself busy when I am young.

      Delete
  6. When I was reading your essay, I just felt I am seeing you. Because you looked like a fashinable city girl. It was so true that you love big city. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am crious why you moved to chicago?
    i like the 24 hous convenience store ,too .Because it is remind me thought of my friends and me, we were so hungry at mid-night and we went to the store buy some snack to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband started an new job here, so I was force to move.

      Delete
  8. I like your essay, I totally understand your feeling. In Hong Kong, it is super convenience, I can get what I want in a very short time. For example, when I buy something online, I can get it within 3 days. But in the United States, I have to wait at least 1 week. This is also making me crazy! Good Job!

    ReplyDelete