Monday, November 17, 2014

Lim Family Revival

Young suh Lim
November 17th, 2014
Professor Michal Eskayo


Lim Family Revival
           
            On December third 1997, Korea had a serious economic crisis. Many Korean people got fired and a lot of corporations went bankrupt because the Korean government owed a lot of foreign debts that they had borrowed from other countries to develop the Korean economy. However, the Korean government did not know how to handle the foreign debts. Thus, many people were negatively affected. This crisis is called the I.M.F crisis. Of course, my family was influenced by the I.M.F crisis. My father got fired from his company. Furthermore, half of my relatives got fired as well. Unbeknownst to us at that time, the I.M.F crisis became an opportunity to improve the Lim family’s.
           


The first way that the I.M.F influenced my family was that my father lost his job and stability. My father used to work at a Medical Corporation as a sales team leader and he earned a reasonable salary from his work. However, the company that my father worked for was suddenly affected by the I.M.F crisis, so my father got fired. At the same time, my father got conned by one of his best friends. He convinced my father to invest in his company, but After my father invested, my father’s best friend ran away with the investment. After my father was swindled, we sold our house and we moved to Incheon from Seoul Korea with a lot of debt. Incheon was a poor town in Korea back in those days. All I could see around my house was farmland and animals, such as cows, pigs and chickens. At that time, I did not realize why we moved to Incheon, and I kept complaining to my parents to go back to Seoul.  


            At the same time, my father had tried to find a job, but nobody hired him due to the I.M.F crisis. All the big companies avoided hiring people. My mother, however, worked for a government officer. Government officers were never fired in Korea as long as they did not do illegal things. Therefore, My father tried to take the public officer test, but the government stopped hiring people at that time as well. As a result, my dad was very frustrated. I recently asked him how he felt at that time and he answered that he thought that he was going to commit suicide. Fortunately, one of my mother’s relatives worked at Honeywell Korea, which is an international business corporation. One of our relatives thankfully offered a job to my father selling heating and cooling machinery. He luckily got the job. From the moment, my father started working at Honeywell, and my family became stable.

            Finally, the most unexpected effect was that my father planned to open his own business, which was a partnership with Honeywell. Even though Korea was still going through economic circumstances, he kept preparing his business. My mother and sister were really concerned about opening the new business, but he ignored their concerns. My father called his brothers who got fired from their workplace to offer them jobs at my father’s company. Many of my relatives joined my father’s company. Unexpectedly, my father’s company started grown rapidly. He started by repairing Honeywell products. Moreover, my father knew how to do commerce. Therefore, he traded Korean products to Indonesia, China and India. Furthermore, he even attempted to make the company’s own gas burner. Since my father stated gas burner business, the business has been doing well.

             The I.M.F crisis has remained a negative memory for all Koreans who went through that crisis. However, the story I heard from my father makes me think the I.M.F crisis was a chance to change and improve our family’s standard of living. Even though my family had challenges and betrayal, it was the significant step for my father and rest of my family. Furthermore, one thing impressed me about this crisis. When I was talking to him, my father said, “I had to do my best. Even If I was hungry, I did not want my family to feel hungry and poor”. Due to his perseverance, the Lim family now has an enjoyable life because of my father.



No comments:

Post a Comment