Friday, November 7, 2014

The Unfair Policy

The Unfair Policy

In 19th century, China had a population of 1.3 billion people. Today, it has more than 1.3 billion people and that why the government created the One Child Policy to control population growth. The one child policy was created and started in 1979. There were many problems with this policy, for example, it makes lots of parents lose their unborn child. However, the benefits are useful for controlling the population growth, and the One Child Policy also affected my family in many ways.

The first effect was that my parents decided to move to the countryside. In my family, we have two children, so it violated the One Child Policy. Also at that time, the police would come to every family to check how many people were living in each house every day. In addition, in order to control the population, the police created a new rule. They said if someone reports which people violated the one child policy, and that person would get money. One of my neighbors whose name is Na was reported by her neighbor because she had three kids in her family, so the police just came in and took her kids and her family to police office. Therefore, my parents were very afraid that somebody would report our family, and my parents took us and moved to the countryside.


The second effect of the One Child Policy was that it gave my parents had to have difficult lives. In old China, there is a traditional culture that every family should have a son because the son could make families continue, and the son is stronger than girl for working on the farm. Therefore, my grandparents put much pressure on my parents to have a boy. Besides, my parents already violated the One Child Policy. The countryside police put pressure on each family, who had more than one child, and parents had to pay some money for each child. As a result, my parents felt very upset, and they had to find one more job in order to pay money because they didn’t want to lose their kids. Furthermore, my parents wanted to have a boy because my grandparents always yelled and said if my parents didn’t have a son, then our family could be over. Also, my grandparents said if dian't have a son that could kill them.

Finally, this Policy contributed to my unhappy childhood. When my mother gave birth to her fourth child, my whole family was very happy for the son, and also they knew that they broke the One Child Policy again. A few days later, my mother asked my aunt to take care of me because there were too many children in our family. As a result, my mother told me repeatedly to call her aunt and call “mother” to her sister. I had to move to my aunt’s home which was far away from my real home. I lived in my aunt home until I was twelve years old. Sometimes, I really hated my parents because they sent to me far away from my real family and they never came back to see me. The worse thing was other kids didn’t play with me because they knew my aunt wasn’t my real mother, and they always called me the no parents’ child. As a result, when I was twelve years old, my mother let me come back to my real home, but she didn’t let me call her mother. Instead, I had to call her aunt.


In the end, the One Child Policy had a strong effect on my family. If the government had canceled the One Child Policy, my parents would not have had to move, my parents would not have had too much pressure and I would not have had to call another person my mother. Although the policy brought many negative effects to many families, the policy is still working because the Chinese population has been growing fastest until now. Many of my Chinese friends and I dislike this policy because if we have more than one child our kids would not be lonely when they stayed at home. Also, if we had two kids, they would have had to take care of each other, and learn how to communicate with their siblings and others.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Katie,
    This is a very sad story, and it made me cried. Yes, the policy of one child is unfair, and your mom's choice was also unfair to you. I understand that there was no better options at that moment, but let her own daughter call herself aunt is such a pain. I hope you and your mom are having some great time together in Chicago, and I hope you are spending more time with your parents now.

    Suki

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand the problem because I am the children that violated the policy. I have a older brother. As a Chinese, we all know the seriousness of this policy, however, the problem of the population is also very important, so it is also very helpness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG...I am very schocked by your story. I knew the policy, but it's first time to hear a story. Living with parents in childhood is very precious time, so it's vey sad that you was not able to stay with your family for a long time.

    ReplyDelete