Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Unimaginable Impact

Unimaginable Impact
A general decision hugely affected the next two generations of my family. During World War II, my grandfather was living in a needy Chinese family. Because my grandfather needed to take care of his large family, he left Taishan and came to Kaiping to get a preferable job, but he failed. Accordingly, my grandfather found other ways and went to Hong Kong. In 1941, after my grandfather had worked in Hong Kong for three years, the significant event happened called the Battle of Hong Kong. The Japanese army had occupied Hong Kong, and this event influenced my grandfather. He lost his job, so he had to return to Taishan. Two years later, my father was born. Because my father was the oldest son of the family, he had responsibility to support the family life. My father went to Jiangmen to find a better job. In fact, these influences began with my grandfather’s decision. This decision had profoundly affected my father because would marry my mother in Jiangmen, and my family would immigrate in the future.
My parents’ marriage was the first effect of all influences on my family. Since my father was living in Jiangmen for about five years, he married a beautiful woman who late became my mother. Accidentally, my parents found at a small clothing company. They generally had a similar working schedule and often worked together, so they had more contact with each other. Day after day, my parents understood each other even more. My father made his first significant decision and he proposed marriage to my mother. In addition, my father had seriously promised to my mother that he would marry her. A half year later, my father prepared a gigantic surprise for my mother. On the Chinese Valentine’s Day, my father proposed marriage to my mother in front of hundred of people in the company. “I promise I will give you many unforgettable memories, and we will create a wonderful family if you marry me.” My father said romantically. Two years after my parents married, my sister, Julie was born, and I was born a year later. In fact, there was a big problem came out with our birth. My parents did not want my sister and me to live in China forever, and they began to think about our future. They decided a farseeing decision to migrate a foreign.
The second effect was that my Uncle Qiang and Bill supported my family’s immigration. My mother has a younger brother named Uncle Qiang who was living in the U.S at the time. He was a gentle person who applied for my family’s immigration. Uncle Qiang was an old overseas Chinese and had been lived in Chicago for about twenty-one years. He had immigrated to the U.S before my sister and I were born. Since Uncle Qiang was living in the U.S, my parents asked him to help my family immigrate, and Uncle Qiang had agreed. Moreover, Uncle Qiang and his wife Aunt May used many ways for applying. Aunt May requested her old cousin named Uncle Bill to assist my family. Fortunately, because Uncle Bill was a professional lawyer and had powerful support, the Chinese Consulate had applied to my family immigration soon. As a result, Uncle Qiang applied to my family immigration successfully, and Uncle Bill became my family guarantor. Therefore, my family got this migratory chance.
The most positive effect was that my family’s immigration to the U.S changed our lives for good. Since our first year in the U.S, I realized that getting to higher education was part of the inevitable things I had to finish in the U.S; therefore, I studied as much as I could. Four years later, I grew up to be a thoughtful student. In fact, I had never studied industriously before. Probably, the American environment had affected my thinking, so I seriously took pains to study hard in all my courses at college. Furthermore, this wonderful American life influenced my family life even better. After I had lived in Chicago for three months, I found a pretty good part-time job as a waiter at a Chinese restaurant. I never believed that I could take care myself well with a part-time job when I was living in China; nevertheless, it was possible under the U.S. Now, this diverse American life affected myself well. I have become an independent person and have an enjoyable part-time job, and I can study at the excellent college.

The little decision to move to Jiangmen had profoundly influenced two generations of my family. I appreciate my grandfather very much. He had done his correct choice and returned to Taishan. Because of my grandfather's excellent decision, my father married my mother, and my two uncles helped my family immigrate. These events had affected my family and gave us an unimaginable opportunity to immigrate to the U.S. It has completely transformed my family life, education, and myself forever.

6 comments:

  1. I love your stories about your family. It ls surpring that your are also from Hong Kong. Indeed, a lot of historical events occured in the last century profoundly affected our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the education has more powerful can make our life different. It's good that you enjoy your life in the U.S. I wish you can finish your degree in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vince,

    I agree with you that it is very important to be an independence person, which a lot of young Chinese have no idea why to do so. You are doing well, and keep working on your study. One day, you are going to have a high position job as well.

    Suki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Education is the most important thing for us, also i am agree with you thank you for share your story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really live your essay, you were clearly connected the issue to your life. In addition, I totally agree with your point, which was significant to be a independence person. This problem is also for the society of this generation now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing a great essay. Life experience is valuable wealth.

    ReplyDelete