Sunday, November 9, 2014

Hard Working Buffalo

                 My grandfather used to tell me that men need to be like buffalo, hard working and uncomplaining. Because of the policy of Great Leap Forward by Chinas first president, Mao ZeDong in 1956, Chinese farmers fell into poverty. A lot of farmers starved in these years. My grandfather was the host in his family, so he needed to assume responsibility of saving his family. Maybe the urgent situation forced my grandfather to work hard, and he successfully did it. Most people think that striving is not difficult. However, this reason became our family motto. Following and striving in difficult conditions is really hard work. This motto has not only influenced my family, but it has also deeply affected me.

   My grandfather who is the source of the story strove to save their family in difficult conditions. In traditional Chinese families, men have to work more than women because it expressed a mans important status. Therefore, my grandfather did two jobs every day. He needed to push a full trolley of fifty kilograms of vegetables, and walk eighty kilometers to sell them by daylight. He woke up early when the sun was not fully out. However, every time he came back home, it was dark outside. After he ate half a meal, he had to work his second not very hard hob of taking care of a neighbors farm. Despite working hard, he didnt grumble about anything. It was not surprising for his family. On the contrary, they were proud of having a buffalo family member.

My father has inherited his fathers motto of being a buffalo. Because of poverty and being the oldest of his siblings , he worked early to help his family. When my father was five years old, my grandmother took him to sell vegetables at the market. Later on, he had to take care of his siblings to let his parents have more time to do other things. After my father had finished his education of primary school, he had to work to earn money because his family could not provide enough money to let four children go to school. In those years, low education meant that my father could not find a good job, so he had to do hard labor. My father didnt say anything about that because he knew that finding a job after graduation from primary school was the best choice for helping his family.

This motto of being a buffalo has influenced me, and it gave me a big assistance when I moved to the U.S. Having a low education is my fathers heart pain, so he hopes I can get a high education now that I am in the U.S. Maybe the family history will always affect me. In the United States, I have studied very hard like the buffalo because I dont need to worry about my family like my fathers childhood. For instance, after school, I have gone to the library and studied all of my subjects. I have often studied all day and take breaks only to eat and sleep. Sometimes, I have studied for twelve hours in a single day so that I can learn more things. While this hard work was difficult, I did not complain, even if my dedication meant that I had to pass up the opportunity to hang out and play with friends. Thus, getting into college is not out of my expectation. Sometimes, I think I need to thank my family history and praise their pride. For being a buffalo is not only a motto, it also symbolizes belief in my heart.

In conclusion, being a buffalo has affected my family, and it has changed my life. After my grandfather created the motto, this family tradition began. My father inherited his cultural heritage despite having few regrets. The motto gave me the power to get into college, and it influences me all the time. I hope that our cultural family motto can pass from generation to generation. Even if future generations encounters difficult situations, they need to persevere.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jinhao,
    This is a great essay, and I really enjoying it. I love the way you write which is short and clear. As the person who sits next to you, I know how hard that you have been working on both studies and work. You will definitely be the buffalo of your generation, and your family will be proud of you!

    Suki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your essay is very nice in mexico my grandmother used to say something similar to my father thanks for share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jinhao, nice essay! You did a good job. You clearly explained the issue and connected it to your life. You did a good job and please feel confident because you family should be proud of you.

    ReplyDelete