Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Always Changing

Caiyun Liang
ESL 100
      
   Life is in a sense an experience. I always enjoy the process and never be afraid of the difficulties. One Chinese custom I could not abide by was the traditional life path of four steps, education, work, marriage and bringing up children. In a typical Chinese, If women got married, she would never have a chance to study because she has to take care of your family. When I was in middle school, I had always dreamed of studying in America. Even though it was just a dream, I always thought of selecting an English major in high school. When I graduated from the university after four years, I chose a teaching job. Working as a teacher it had also made me more aware of the importance of studying. However, there was one thing evident, I was eager to take on Western education as my life dream. Therefore, I gave up my Chinese life and immigrated to The United State to finish my studies. The effects of moving to Chicago were challenging for me, my husband and my son in that they faced with many problems. Despite these effects, my family and I have been able to deal with problems of all kinds since our arrival.
 It was a challenge for me to go back to being a student after fifteen years of teaching. The surroundings were not to my expectation when I stood on this new land, even though I felt a nervous excitement when I was talking to the foreigners who spoke English fluently. I will never forget the first day that I went to Harold Washington College. I was sitting at the table under the lectern, a handsome teacher, Mr. Luke came to the classroom. I couldn’t find any other words to describe my situation but excited, confused and expectant. “Am I a student?” I asked myself many times. Mr. Luke asked me to play a game in class which helped me understand English phrases. My new perceptive teacher asked me: “Caiyun, were you a teacher when you were in China?” After his asking, it made it clear that I was a student instead of a teacher. Suddenly, I felt warm and content, because I could study in such a good college. Two years have gone, I still kept at my studies although I met a lot of hardships. I believed that I will hold this chance to improve my English in my journey through life.  

For my husband, on the other hand, it was a sorrowful change because he gave up a rewarding job to adapt to this new environment. My husband was a typical engineer who had a typical job that made him happy. For many people, a good job is sufficient to guarantee happiness and contentment. Because my husband did not know English when we arrival, he worked as a porter at a market in Chinatown. For him, this was a demeaning Job which made him upset. He was knocked up from overwork. Also, home and workplace were the two parts of the complete circle in his life. In fact, Chinatown was his life because he did not like American food, he could only survive in Chinatown. He who stays in the valley should never get over the hill. It was difficult for my husband to change his old lifestyle to adapt to this new environment. However, he had already faced the situation bravely.


Furthermore, there was a psychological trauma for my son who was only nine because he was uprooted and planted in a strange school away from his friends. He was not fearful that he had no English basics, but what was fearful was that he was not well prepared to face the strangers and establish enough confidence in studying. I remembered my son’s diary post from fifth grade. He wrote: “I miss my friends in China so badly, and I miss the school... It is a good chance to study in Chicago, because the learning environment is very good and the way of studying is very active...Difficulties are temporary. I will never give up...” Therefore, he just had the belief that he would never give up, so he never let us down. He studied very hard and never afraid of being laughing at when he spoke English. He spent a lot of time reading to improve his English. He was the only student in his grade to get an “A” in all subjects for a whole semester. My son’s efforts were gratifying for the whole family.

Surviving a new world will never be as easy as dreaming, but my life keeps on changing. It seems that our life is off to a new start. My family and I have already been able to overcome many difficulties because we are closely united. If we never lose our sense of wonder, anything is possible. There is no absolute good or bad in our life, as it is almost always changing.

6 comments:

  1. I was wholly moved by your family's moving stories. Your husband gave up his credictable job to be a porter to support the faniliy, which gave me a deep impression of great father's love. And your child is also very persevering one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelvin. I think every family has its own hard nut to crack.

      Delete
  2. I really respect your choice that you came to the United States. In addition, I strongly understand the difficulty for your choice and your husband really love your and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I always think about it. We made a good choice.

      Delete
  3. awww. the story is really touching.You and your family made a the best thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your praise. I am so pround of my family.

    ReplyDelete